The 5 Most Important Skills You Need To Get a Data Job in 2021
A data-driven approach to understanding technical skills in the UK market.
This article uses a web scraped dataset to analyse text and find the most common skills in data-related jobs. I’m focusing on technical/hard skills for this article and will tackle soft skills later on.
For each of the 5 most common skills, I’m going to cover:
- What is it?
- What the Data Says
- My Opinion
The dataset consists of 3,015 job titles including salaries.
The mean salary is £49,543.
The median salary is £44,000.
These seem quite high and we’ll discuss why later on.
Table of Contents
- Data Collection
- Job Titles
- Hard Skills
- Data Interpretation
3. Power BI
5. Machine Learning
- Regression Modelling
This dataset has been scraped from Indeed.co.uk using Python’s BeautifulSoup package. The data was scraped in November and December 2020.
- The search terms used were a range of data-related roles, Indeed also returns a wide range of roles e.g. ‘Data Analyst’ would also return ‘Data Scientist’ roles.
- Duplicates have been removed using the job title, description and location.
- The data was filtered to only jobs containing salaries.
- The titles and descriptions have been cleaned to remove common words such as ‘the’, ‘and’, ‘is’, etc.
- Some cleaning of hard skills was done to group common misspellings together e.g. ‘PowerBI’ and ‘Power BI’.
The most common words are not hard/soft skills and there is no definitive list of data-related skills. The lists…